WARREN BUFFETT will host a lunch to benefit GLIDE and its programs. The lunch will be up for bid on eBay beginning June 1, 2014 at 7:30 pm PDT and close June 6, 2014 at 7:30 pm PDT. Mr. Buffett will dine with the winning bidder and up to seven friends at Smith & Wollensky in New York City on a mutually agreed upon date.
All bidders must pre-qualify. The opening bid is $25,000.
100% of proceeds from the winning bid will benefit GLIDE, one of the leading social service institutions working to alleviate human suffering and poverty in the San Francisco Bay Area. Mr. Buffett has described GLIDE as “...maybe the most effective organization I’ve seen for people down on their luck. It takes people who have hit bottom and brings them back. I’ve seen it with my own eyes.”
for every view of the power of one lunch video
ebay will donate $1 to glide up to $5,000
Each year, GLIDE helps thousands of men, women, and children confront and overcome the effects of human suffering, poverty and homelessness through comprehensive services that emphasize unconditional love, healing, personal empowerment and self-affirmation. GLIDE provides these comprehensive services to more than 2,500 individuals every day and feeds nearly a million meals a year.
Founded 50 years ago by Rev. Cecil Williams and Janice Mirikitani, GLIDE has been a spiritual home for all people and has brought social justice, love, courage and leadership to the community. By connecting the threads of individual lives, Janice and Cecil have created a tapestry that weaves us all together. Addressing hunger, poverty, homelessness, racism, and homophobia, GLIDE has transformed San Francisco into a place where acceptance, justice and meaningful change are endlessly possible. With Cecil and Janice in the roles of Co-Founders, GLIDE is directed by Kristen Growney Yamamoto and Rita Shimmin, the Co-Executive Directors, who bring a wealth of compassion and experience to the task of continuing GLIDE’s impact and success in the coming years. Today, GLIDE’s social movement continues to grow.
Guy Spier, 2007 Auction Winner
Courtney Wolfe, Salida Capital 2009 Auction Winner
GLIDE provides each year...
- • Over 850,000 meals served in our Daily Free Meals Program an average of nearly 2,400 daily
- • 159 individuals and families were supported with over $191,000 in rental assistance to help obtain or maintain housing at risk through our Walk In Center.
- • Over 2,300 people in crisis served through our Walk In Center, including helping people stay off the streets by providing nearly 8,000 shelter reservations.
- • 452 children and parents/caregivers in our Family, Youth and Childcare Center served.
- • Nearly 400 women served in the Women’s Center through support groups, case management, referrals and therapeutic socializing activities.
- • Nearly 16,000 patient visits were conducted in Health Services, serving approximately 3,000 unduplicated patients.
Health Clinic • Mental Healthcare • HIV/AIDS Services • Addiction Recovery • Women’s Services • Licensed Child Care • Sunday Celebrations Free Meals • Crisis Center • Rooftop Garden • Permanent Housing • Community Advocacy • Youth Programs • Domestic Violence Recovery After School Programs and much more…